Monday 21 May 2012

USB GPS

After a long time of searching I have managed to get my USB GPS to work with my setup.

I managed to get the GPS up and running successfully, quite easily, it seems, by downloading the 'PL2303GPS MocLocationProvider' from the Google Play Store.

You can find this app here...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.esolutions4you.mlprovider&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImRlLmVzb2x1dGlvbnM0eW91Lm1scHJvdmlkZXIiXQ..&purchaseButton=dhRXscJpVRZkdX1jwyWNk6Ba4hc%3D

This app contained the PL2303 driver that I needed to work with my USB GPS Device. Once I had this installed, I just had to make sure that I had Mock Locations turned on in Settings -> Developer Options and the application just found my GPS Device and it worked.

I have found that the application just loads straight up when Android first starts, so that it can connect to the GPS Device, and then it allows any navigation based application on Android to use your USB GPS.


Note...

I am having an issue at the moment, whereby if I start the computer with the GPS plugged in on boot, I lose the ability to use the touchscreen. But if I start the computer with the GPS unplugged, let Android Load then plug the GPS in, all works fine.

This could be because of the order I have my USB devices attached, I will have to try moving the Touchscreen to the first USB Port and GPS after. I will keep you posted!

Happy Droiding!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, I have a generic USB GPS adapter (The blue ones on ebay) which works with pl2303 driver when connected to a pc, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to work with the Android x86 ICS 4.0 RC2 for eee pc.

    I'm also recreating my car pc build from centrafuse + xp to be an android unit. Following your help I have got touchscreen working as well as VGA out, but the GPS just wont work. It won't detect my gps as a usb device because I believe the kernal driver is absent. I purchased the tool you have listed and this still does not work. Can you please tell me the brand and model of your USB GPS adapter? If you have tested it to be working I will get the same one.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this should work, as far as I know with any device that uses the PL2303 driver, using the PL2303 Mock Location Provider App and making sure the Mock Locations are turned on as mentioned.

      I will however check, when I get home later, what make/model GPS Receiver I am using which works. As I say, I still have an issue at the moment where I have to power up the Laptop and Touchscreen, then I can attach the GPS and other USB Devices, otherwise the touchscreen doesn't respond.

      Delete
    2. The USB GPS that I am using successfully is a Globalsat


      http://www.globalsat.co.uk/product_pages/gsat_products_cable_ND100.htm

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the quick reply.

    I'm not sure why my gps usb did not work but temporarily I am using a work around by sending gps data over bluetooth from my mobile phone which seems to work really well.

    I have also come across something you may want to add to your blog regarding recent developments for ARM emulation. If you havn't already found out, there is a patch you can do to enable our x86 installs to run some ARM cpu coded apps. Have a look at the below link. It was pretty easy to do, but I have some issues where emulated apps dont always recieve a network connection. I will try and contact the author to see if there is a solution.

    http://android-x86.sceners.org/en/?p=536

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    I know this is a pretty old post, but I was wondering if you are still using Android in your car. I'm trying to make the switch from Centrafuse on an XP netbook. After following your posts about getting VGA out and the touchscreen working, my last hurdle is getting usb audio working. I'm running 4.0-RC2. I can see the hardware recognized and get it set as the default in ALSA, but I am banging my head on getting Android to route audio to the usb device. Any insight to offer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't use the Android-x86 in my car anymore. I actually bought the Nexus 7 to replace the whole system with and fit this in my dash instead as it had most of the peripherals that I needed built in.

      I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I cannot give you any further advice with getting a USB Audio Device to work with Android, as I never attempted this. Perhaps another user on here might know more about this and be able to help though?

      Delete