Thursday 19 April 2012

Getting Started with Android x86

Ok, so I was ready to take the plunge with the Android Ice Cream Sandwich x86 Port and as it has been very fiddly and taken a lot of internet searching, I thought that I would share with you, the steps that I went through to get mine up and running. Now, I currently have my system installed on my Windows NTFS partition, so I can switch back to Windows while I am playing around.

Note:
I am by no means a Linux expert, everything I have done took a lot of Google searching to come up with solutions. I may not be able to help you with any specific problems you are receiving.

Ok, so my current Hardware Setup is the following.

  • Samsung NC10 Netbook
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 160GB HDD
    • 1.6GHz Intel Atom
    • 1.3mp Camera
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • 10/100Mb Ethernet
    • Microphone
    • Speakers
  • USB GPS (I can't remember the Model at this time but it uses the PL2303 Driver)
  • 7" VGA Screen with a 7" USB Touchscreen (In windows, uses the TouchKit driver)
  • Velleman K8055 USB Interface Board
  • ScanTool.Net ElmScan 5 USB OBD-II Reader

  1. I headed over to  http://www.android-x86.org/ to get a copy of the latest version available. I my case, I got a copy of Ice Cream Sandwich. I tried several different versions of the build, but the one that was the most reliable for my hardware was the EEEPC ISO.
  2. I downloaded the ISO, and saved it away to my PC.
  3. I then headed over to get myself a copy of unetbootin from  http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to enable me to copy the ISO image onto a USB device and make it Bootable.
    1. Open UNetbootin.
    2. Select Diskimage.
    3. Make sure ISO is selected from the drop down.
    4. Click the button with "..." to browse and select the saved EEEPC ISO image that I saved earlier.
    5. Make sure the Type is set to USB Drive.
    6. Select the correct Drive for the USB Drive I want.
    7. Click Ok.
  4. Once I had a bootable USB Drive of Android x86, it was time to load it into the Samsung.
  5. I plugged the USB Drive in.
  6. Started the Netbook and pressed F2 to load up the BIOS options.
  7. I then made my way over to the Boot Menu and modified the Boot Sequence/Order, so that my USB drive booted before anything else.
  8. Saved my settings and exited BIOS.
  9. I let the computer boot up and was presented with a menu of Android Options
    1. Run Android x86 without Installing
    2. Debug Mode
    3. VESA Mode
    4. Install Android x86 to the Hard Drive
  10. I chose option one to run Android first, to try it without installing it, so that I could test if it works with the Netbook and to see if I got on well with it. (I strongly suggest this)
  11. Once I was happy, I rebooted and chose the last option to Install Android to the Hard Drive.
  12. I was then asked to select a device (Drive) to install Android to. If you are a Linux noob then what you are presented with is a list of devices.
  13. Then I was asked if I wanted to format the selected drive and if so, which Format? As I was installing this alongside my Windows OS, I chose not to Format the drive. If you are installing this from scratch I suggest Ext3.
  14. The next thing I was asked was do I want to Install the Grub Menu. I selected Yes. This will handle the boot requests and direct the machine to the Operating System.
  15. Because I was installing on my Windows drive, I was told that Windows OS had been detected and did I want to add an option into the Grub menu for Windows. I chose yes. You will not get this question when you install from scratch.
  16. I was then asked if I want to make the system Read and Write for debugging mode, I selected Yes (You may or may not be asked this?)
  17. I let the installation run through, which only took a couple of minutes as the operating system is so lightweight.
  18. I was finally asked if I wanted to setup a User space, and if so how much space should it allocate? I selected the maximum storage space which was 2047MB (2 GB). This took quite a while, a good half an hour I think. This option, I think is only asked if you are installing on your Windows Partition.
  19. When all is ready to go, you are asked to Run Android.
  20. The first time Android is started you are walked through a self explanatory wizard to set the Operating System up.
  21. Android seemed to have already picked up my WiFi adapter and Built In Camera straight away.
  22. I was now able to play around with the OS and download new apps etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment